Sunday, February 8, 2009

CHARCOAL PENCIL ON YUPO PAPER



After reading Carol Feldman's fine post - FIGURE ON YUPO (February 5, 2009) I decided to add one more element to the discussion: The use of charcoal pencil on Yupo. I had already tried watercolor and pencil on it but did not realize how nicely it took charcoal pencil until I was asked to do this commission from a friend's photo.
I used a General 2b and 4b pencil, a plastic eraser and a kneaded eraser. What I especially liked about charcoal on this surface is that it can hold middle tones and darks, be erased right back to the white surface, crosshatched with both the pencil and eraser and blended with a stump

Charcoal on Yupo       12x9

8 comments:

Myrna said...

Great portrait and interesting idea to use YUPO. Did you "fix" the charcoal before framing?

Ken Goldman said...

Thank you Myrna,
No I didn't. It is actually quite durable and smudge proof. But I did use a mat to separate the image from the glass.

Carol Feldman said...

This is a wonderful drawing.
Thank you for the nod. :-)
I feel very honored! Now I am off to my figure drawing group to try charcoal on Yupo.

Ken Goldman said...

Your welcome Carol. I can't wait to see what you do and hear what you think. It seems like such an unlikely surface yet works so well. Have you ever tried drawing on Mylar (architects use it)? I think it is the same as Yupo and may be less expensive.

Joanne said...

I have never used Yupo but love your charcoal piece. I will have to learn where to purchase it in my area.

Ken Goldman said...

Hi Joanne,
Thanks for the comment. Here is a link to Yupo paper
http://www.dickblick.com/vendors/yupo/
Being a watercolorist, I think you'll like it very much

Ilse T.Hable said...

Hi Ken, long time no see!
Just stumbled upon your blog and kept on scrolling down! I like your portrait and am curious - what is Yupo? What is it made of? It is always interesting to try new surfaces, even though, in all those years here in Mexico, I haven't found anything that feels as good as smooth newsprint (for charcoal)I cant get the acid free vellum like Strathmore here, a bummer.........
So, how are you? Would be nice to keep in touch. Give my best to Stephanie,
Ilse

Creative Pay said...

How'd you do the shading?